Camping in Style
While we love spending time in the great outdoors, a traditional camping trip can sometimes make us miss the comforts of home. So, we rounded up a list of luxurious camping locations for our future adventures. Scattered across North America, these stunning sites make it easy to take in the view without having to pack your own tent.
1. Treebones, Big Sur, CA: Located on the rugged coast of Big Sur in central California, this gathering of yurts-- portable, circular dwellings traditionally used by Central Asian nomads-- is heated by cozy fireplaces. You can enjoy the ocean view from your yurt, the pool, or the "Human Nest"-- a suspended, woven wood pod that's ready to welcome more adventurous campers.
2. Paws Up, Greenough, MT: The spacious lodgings at Montana's Paws Up feel like anything but tents thanks to a list of jaw-dropping amenities that includes spa-worthy fixtures, crackling fire pits, and even a personal butler. Outside, you can hike, fish, ride, and participate in ranch activities against the awe-inspiring backdrop of the mountainous Bob Marshall Wilderness.
3. Steep Ravine Cabins, Mount Tamalpais, CA: Only an hour north of San Francisco, this group of oceanfront cabins is the most minimal location on our list-- you'll have to bring your own sleeping bags, food, and cooking gear. Part of California's Mount Tamalpais State Park, the cabins offer private beach access, breathtaking Pacific views, and the feel of a remote getaway just a short drive from the city.
4. Firelight Camps, Ithaca, NY: Firelight is billed as "an elevated camping experience," and it lives up to its name with luxe, safari-style tents and a menu inspired by the local food and wine of the Finger Lakes. Once you've settled in, you can hike through Ithaca's famous gorges, go on a foraging excursion, or settle in around the nightly campfire for s'mores.
5. Minam River Lodge, Wallowa, OR: Located deep in Oregon's Eagle Cap Wilderness, Minam River Lodge is accessible only by hike, horseback, or single engine plane! Don't let the remote location scare you-- once guests arrive, they're welcomed with lodge-grown produce, a wood fired hot tub, and of course, spectacular hiking in the Oregon woods.
6. Outpost Co., Anywhere: Inspired by the luxury of 19th century expeditions, Toronto-based Outpost Co. sets up spacious, handmade tents anywhere you want to go, from Canada's Northern Labrador to your own backyard. Cozy Hudson Bay blankets, woodstoves, food, and gear are all included-- they'll even set up a child-sized teepee for the little ones! Outpost owner and former Antarctic expedition leader Constantin Von Flotow designed the company's signature tents with meticulous attention to detail, copying Civil War era structures down to the mahogany poles and brass fittings.
Image Credits: 1. Treebones, 2. Paws Up, 3. Julie Chai for Gardenista, 4. Firelight Camps, 5. Gardenista, 6. Outpost Co.