A Breakfast in Bed Parfait
Whether served for a special occasion or just a lazy weekend wake-up, breakfast in bed is a simple indulgence that makes any morning brighter. We asked Styer's Garden Café chef Jared Frazer to share a recipe for breakfast in bed with two criteria: it had to be neat enough to eat near our favorite quilts and pillows, and easy enough to make before our first cup of coffee. Jared offered the simple yet satisfying parfait above, topped with a homemade granola of oats, quinoa, and dried fruit. We love the bright colors of this breakfast bowl, as well as its delicious and healthy balance of toasty granola, fresh fruit, and tart yogurt. For a hint of natural sweetness, we stirred maple syrup into the yogurt before serving. Read on for the granola recipe, and surprise someone with a great morning this weekend!
Oat & Quinoa Granola
3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup quinoa
3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried fruit, diced small
1/2 cup coarsely chopped raw or toasted nuts and seeds
1. Heat the oven to 300°F. Place a wire cooling rack nearby.
2. Place the oats, quinoa, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine; set aside.
3. Place the honey, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl and stir to combine. Pour over the oat mixture and mix until the oats are thoroughly coated.
4. Spread the mixture in a thin, even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then stir and continue baking until the granola is a very light golden brown, about 5 to 15 minutes more.
5. Place the baking sheet on the wire rack and cool the granola to room temperature, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes. (Note: It will harden as it cools.)
6. Add the fruit, nuts, and seeds to the baking sheet and toss to combine.
7. Stir a spoonful of maple syrup into your favorite plain yogurt, then top with granola and your choice of fresh fruit before serving.
You May Also Like: